Wales, uk

Are Your Idols Really Worth Meeting?

Thursday, March 4, 2021

Myself and a friend with Colton Haynes at a photoshoot for Teen Wolf

Myself and Greg Finley posing for a photo at a convention

Good Evening everyone,

So this is actually an old post that I have revised a little bit. I’m not really sure if many people would be interested in reading this kind of post but meeting famous people has actually been a big part of my life over the past 10 years or so, I have been to some amazing places because of it and made some life long friends. So I figured I might as well spruce it up a little bit, look through some old photos and get it up on the blog for you all to have a ganders.


There are probably many people out there who will both agree and disagree with what I’ve written but this is all based on my own experiences I’ve had while meeting famous people.


So let’s get started ‘Are your idols really worth meeting?


For me, there is no straight forward answer to this. Both yes and no depending on who your idol is. I have been both disappointed and surprised by the people I have met. After a while you can kind of get a sense whether someone is genuinely  interested in meeting their fans or they’re just there to get paid as another days work.


I have been lucky enough to meet a bunch load of famous people, some I have met for free and others I have had to work hard to get the money together to pay to met them at conventions (what is a convention I hear you ask - it’s probably a story for another day but it is essentially the same as a comic con). I have spent far more money that I would care to admit but sometimes that can be the only way you can meet the people you look up to.


Firstly I would say you have to remember that the character you love on the screen is just that - a character that somebody has written and the person playing that character may or may not be anything like said character. I have been sorely let down by some people in which I thought were pretty amazing on screen and then face to face they are just nothing like what you expect - sometimes that can be a good thing but also it can be a bad thing.


Secondly you will get a different experience depending on where you meet your idol. If you have paid to meet them then 90% of the time they will be the nicest person you could ever wish to meet, they will chat with you, take posed photos and more often than not that is because they are being paid to do so. 


Whereas if you meet them in the street or on set and they are nice then usually they are genuine because they don’t have to take their time to take a photo with you or talk or even sign an autograph. I’ve had people straight out say no, some have reluctantly signed something and then been on their way and I’ve had some spend 20 minutes of their time taking photos and chatting with me. It really does depend who they are, what kind of day have they had, do they need to be somewhere - there are so many things to factor in.


Thirdly is something I learnt the hard way and it also relates to remembering that they are not their character, try, if you can, not to hype them up too much in your mind, don’t put them on a pedestal before you meet them because it’s a huge come down when they are nothing like you expected. I have been majorly disappointed in the past because people who I have looked up too just weren’t what I had made them out to be.


I’m not going to name and shame the people who I’ve met that were rude or uninterested or clearly only there for the money but I also don’t want to bore you with a mega long list of the people I have met that I found really nice. I could give you a list of probably 10 people who are so super nice to meet but I won’t, I’m only going to name 3 people who I think are some of the nicest guys to meet that have always had time for me whenever I’ve met them - whether it was paid or not they have always been more than they needed to be. Greg Finley, Colton Haynes & Dylan O’Brien.


Hayls

Image of myself and Dylan O'Brien with text for Pinterest





2 comments

  1. I definitely think there is an element of disappointment when they aren't who we are used to seeing them as. This is especially true for long running shows like Friends where some of us grew up knowing and loving the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. It can be so much fun but not everything goes to plan. thank you for the comment lovely.

      Delete