Wilmington, NC, USA

5 Things To Do In Wilmington, NC

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Photo of the Riverwalk in Downtown Wilmington, North Carolina. Photo includes the Cape Fear river.

Image of a sign saying Wrightsville Beach. The sign is surrounded by trees and plants.

5 years ago I had the opportunity to visit Wilmington, North Carolina where one of my favourite TV shows was filmed. One Tree Hill. While I don have a post coming with some of the locations, today I want to share with you 5 things to do in Wilmington, North Carolina.

When I was there my dad and I were doing a 2 week road trip Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and New York. So time in each place was limited and I had just 1 and a half days in Wilmington. I feel like we managed to see a fair bit in such a short amount of time, so you can easily see all these things in just a day.

The image shows a black and white photo of Topsail Beach, North Carolina. The image shows the sea, and footprints in the sand.


1. Firstly was my favourite place to visit. We took a trip just outside of Wilmington up the coast to North Topsail Beach (which is a One Tree Hill filming location) but it was a beautiful beach. We arrived there just before sunset so as you can imagine it was just a gorgeous setting. There are some amazing beach houses all along the beach. I really enjoyed how peaceful it was there and if you have the time would recommend you go take a stroll.


2. The Riverwalk is as the name suggests. You can walk along the river front. It’s a lovely walk, there are shops and restaurants all along the walk. You can also catch a river cruise from there which I believe takes you along the river and gives you a guided tour and information of all the riverfront buildings.


3. There are many restaurants and cafes for you to choose from, and I’m sure many of them are excellent but we went to Front Street Brewery where they have their own mini brewery on site and serve all of their own beers and ales. The food was good and it was nice to be able to try something local.


4. Another beautiful beach is Wrightsville Beach, it’s about a 20 minute drive from the riverwalk so a lot closer than heading up to Topsail Beach, it was a lot busier than Topdsail but that could be due to the time of day we went. It was a lovely white sand beach with two pier’s (As seen in the Dawson’s Creek opening credits and also more OTH filming) one at either end of the beach, it’s somewhere you could easily spend the day sunbathing and paddling. 


5. USS North Carolina is a museum and you can actually go aboard and look around at the world war 2 battleship. You do have to pay to go aboard and while we didn’t have time as I was only there for the area next to the battleship known to One Tree Hill fans as the Rivercourt. I’ve heard it a good attraction to go and see and is on my list next time I visit.


Image shows the Cape Fear river looking over to the USS Carolina Battleship Park


So there we go. My 5 things to do while you’re in Wilmington North Carolina. I’m sure there are so many more things and I would love to hear if you have been to any of these places or if you have any recommendations for other things to see and do while in Wilmington.


HAYLEY


Image shows a photo the Riverwalk in downtown Wilmington, North Carolina. Image also shows the title of a blog spot and an address to the blog post.


1 comment